Monday, 15 September 2014

Why I Have a Blog


        When I started this blog back in early 2013, my first ideas for what I would post have grown and changed.  I started out with a few poems and short historical biographies - now, I enjoy writing about history, theology, the arts, and the reformation, both now and long ago.  But one thing has not changed.  In all my writing and posts, I hope to encourage those who read them, and glorify God through them.
        I had been looking at the Apostle John's letter 1 John of late, and found some wonderful truths which I hope will bless you and encourage me as I write.  First, whether I am studying the writings of G. A. Henty, sharing a poem that I have written, or writing about the Reformation, I want my readers to see that God has a plan throughout history; that there is a great and glorious purpose in Him placing us here at this point in time. I want to remind readers that "I write to you, not because you do not know the truth, but because you know . . . the truth." (1 John 2:21 ESV).
        Second, as the apostle John wrote in his letter 1 John, ". . . I am writing you no new commandment, but an old commandment that you had from the beginning. The old commandment is the Word that you have heard." (1 John 2:7).  In other words, my focus is not to write and say something new, but to continually point to the Gospel.  Though the Gospel may apparently be hidden behind something which I write about, I want to bring it to the front and let everyone see how important it is in understanding whatever we think, do, write, or say.
        So why do I have a blog?  Not so I can post my stuff about me.  I have a blog so that the name of Christ may be glorified, so his people may be built-up through thinking His thoughts, and so that I can use my love of writing and history to become excellent at it for Christ's glory.

"I write to you, young men [and women], because you are strong, and the word of God abides in you, and you have overcome the evil one."
~ 1 John 2:14


Written and Posted by William A Moore


1 comment:

  1. Good for you, William! It's so spiritually-healthy to habitually not only re-analyze one's personal purposes, but also to inform those around you of your purpose. Keep up that practice, and keep up the blogging!

    And as a side note, I love that you referenced 1 John, because Charae and I are just about to start studying that together! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to respond below regarding this post!